Monday, December 24, 2012

God and cryptozoology

There are cryptozoologists who think approaching crypto from a Young Earth Creationist (YEC) position leads to the truth, while some other cryptozoologists are adamant that it can't. A very budy thread on this on the Journal of Cryptozoology page has been removed, apparently because it became a repeated volleying of arguments over creation and science.  On cryptozoology itself - that is, searching for new or presumed-extinct species - my point was that one's motivation and viewpoints didn't necessarily have anything to do with the methods used to find animals. From a YEC viewpoint, finding animals that should not, according to the accepted scientific timeline, exist is ammunition for the argument that the timeline is wrong. As a cryptozoological researcher and a Christian who views the Biblical creation as allegory rather than literal, I have no problem with anything we learn from science, and I can't believe God does, either. We can debate  the implications of a discovery AFTER we make the discovery.

4 comments:

Laurence Clark Crossen said...

It seems that Creationism is a reaction to atheism posing as science. One can conceive of evolution as not necessarily ruling out God. The continued existence of presumably extinct creatures such as basilosaurs can be explained in other ways than Young Earth Creationism. Lazarus taxa are repeatedly rediscovered. They could merely have somehow persisted without our finding fossils and while eluding detection.

Scott Mardis said...

I AM NOT A CREATIONIST!

Matt Bille said...

Scott, my apologies. I'm not even sure how I ended up saying that.

Matt Bille said...

Scott, my apologies. I'm not even sure how I ended up saying that.